sustiva, viread and emtriva

My viral load is 15.000 and my cd4 320. My doctor suggested a once daily therapy with sustiva, viread and emtriva. Do you think is it a good combination? Is it dangerous for lipoatrophy? Thanks Pedro

Dear Pedro-

This is an attractive and increasingly popular regimen for several reasons. First, it is once a day. Second, it requires you to take only two pills a day and it is likley these will be combined to a single pill in the near future. Third, the combination has done very well in a recent study comparing it to Combivir and Sustiva with higher rates of people getting to a viral load of less than 50 copies/mL and less toxicity. Lastly, it is unlikely to cause much in the way of fat wasting.

So, I think this is a fine choice for initial therapy. The side effects? Sustiva can cause vivid dreams and grogginess but the vast majority of people can overcome these without a need to stop the med. Emtriva can cause hyperpigmentation (darkening) of the skin on the palms but this is pretty rare. Tenofovir is well tolerated. There are some who are concerned about its effects on renal function, and this is a controversial issue, but when dosed correctly this seems to be a very rare cause of treatment discontinuation.

Good luck

Forgetfullness as a side effect?
When to make the decsion the the POS-HIV is not a FP