When to start meds

I was diagnosed as HIV+ in December 2004. My first Viral Load test was completed on April 6, 2005. The results were TCell Count 549, Viral Load 84,200. My doctor feels that we should retest in 6 months and then make a decision on med's.

I have had no indications of any illness as of yet, what would you recommend? Should I consider beginning a drug regiment? If so, do you recommend one over the other given my numbers?

Thank you,

Dear DW,

Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. There's much apprehension in these early months and a lot of information to learn.

Long story short, with your current labs, I think that you doctor's approach is reasonable. I wouldn't rush into starting medications, and with your current CD4 count and HIV viral load, waiting between 3 and 6 months to repeat a set is ok.

Take the time in the next several months to get your preventive health (health maintenance) issues up to speed-- blood pressure, vaccinations, diet, exercise; also be sure to take the time to learn about your many treatment options.

While you won't have to start medications imminently (and hopefully for a very long time), knowing about your options will make you a more informed consumer and patient. Lastly, spend some time talking to your friends, case managers and other patients about their experiences-- knowledge is good.

I hope this helps. Good health to you. BY

Combination query
Starting treatment or wait?