Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Starting on Septra
May 4, 2005

Hi. My nurse at AVRC in San Diego told me today that my viral load jumped to 153,000 from 49,000. My t-cell count is relatively stable at 468. However, my CD4 % dropped to 15%. She said I need to start on Septra to keep myself from getting pneumonnia. I am currently not on any meds, and am just not sure on going on Septra at this point. Is 15% really at a critical level to start on Septra?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

In general, yes, we recommend starting PCP preventive therapies (such as Bactrim or Septra) in patients with CD4 absolute counts below 200 or CD4 percentages below 15.

As we've mentioned in the past, getting a repeat set of labs sometimes helps differentiate between a single abnormally low lab or part of a larger trend.

Good luck and good health, BY

Previous
Vitamins and Hiv Medications?
Next
Results fluctuations

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.