Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vitamins and Hiv Medications?
May 3, 2005

I have recently started a regimen of Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. I have previously been taking vitamin supplements including an antioxidant combination, B complex and 1g Vitamin C. May I continue this vitamin regiment and not interfere with my treatment?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

There is a growing appreciation for the potential of supplements and other over-the-counter medications to interact with prescription medications, including antiretrovirals.

In moderation, there shouldn't be any significant interactions between the vitamins that you've listed and your HIV medications. I caution my patients against taking more than 1 gram of vitamin C per day, since this has been shown to alter the metabolism of other protease inhibitors (and might, by inference cause problems for yours). You should be aware that some recent data raised important questions about the effectiveness of antioxidants, though this remains controversial.

Lastly, be sure that you take your current HIV medications with food, and avoid the use of antacids (since these factors also significantly affect the absorption of Reyataz). I always advise my patients to tell me which products they're taking, both prescription and over-the-counter, because of the potential for such interactions.

Good luck, BY

Previous
Starting Treatment and needed vaccinations
Next
Starting on Septra

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.