Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

HIV-1 vs. HIV-2

As a newly diagnosed patient does the usual initial testing I recieved tell which strain(s) I may be infected with? I had contact with a person from Africa where HIV 2 is more prevalent. Does it matter to my therapy- all the drugs I see are indicated for type I? I had only a first meeting with my MD and am having trouble getting hold of the staff there but will ask them as soon as I do.

Thanks for your post.

The usual HIV antibody testing distinguishes between HIV-1 and HIV-2. Unless otherwise stated, I think that it's safe to assume that you have HIV-1, but I'd make sure that you ask your doctor to be sure. BY

Concerned Re: appropriate Treatment?
last question on CCR5/CXCR4