Splitting 600 mg Sustiva Tablets

I have been taking 600mg Sustiva for about 2 years. I developed insomnia from the Sustiva. To alleviate it, I began cutting my 600 mg tablets in two so I took about 2/3 at night and 1/3 in the morning. This helped a lot. When I told my PA I had been doing this for a month now, she said I have probably developed resistance to Sustiva because I did not take the medication as directed. I felt it was safe because the intracellular half life of Sustiva is over 40 hours. Should I be worried?

You should not be worried. The long half life of Sustiva certainly allows for more frequent dosing as long as the total daily dose remains the same. In fact, there is such inter-individual variability in Sustiva levels that some patients don't need 600mg daily. In cases of Sustiva related sleep disturbance measuring blood levels can sometimes safely allow the dose to be reduced. Thanks for posting.

Yellow fever vaccination
aids medicine versus lifestyle changes