VITAMIN SUPPLIMENTS AS A TREATMENT

Hi Firstly a big thanks to a big thanks to Dr Young for the answer to my last Question.I was diagnosed 8 months ago and my cd4 was 265 and viral load 15000 3 months later my cd4 255 and viral load 3000. Prior to this I led a very poor lifestyle ate 1 meal a day drank 6pints of beer a day and smoked heavly. Since discovering my condition I have cut out alchol and have 2-3 low alchol beers on a weekend eat 3 healthy meals a day still smoke cut out all coffee and only drink green tea 5 cupd per day.I am taking a intensive course of vitamin suppliments in food state form.I will from today start taking coenzymeQ10 200MG PER DAY. At the moment I havent felt better in years.Is this a false sense of wellness or are the vitamins etc helping in the fight? when to start medication? Chris South Africaa

Chris- Good to hear from you again and I'm happy to see that you're feeling well.

I'd have to say that you've focused a lot of attention on your health and probably these changes have resulted in your improved sense of well-being. Clearly reducing tobacco and excess alcohol will improve things. As to whether the vitamins are singularly responsible, I tend to not believe this so much. Assuming that you have a good balanced diet, you'll likely ingest most of the vitamins and minerals that you need (indeed, in a form that is much more "natural" than a manufactered vitamin tablet). That said, for the most part, other than the price, there's little down side to taking vitamins in their recommended doses.

As to when to start medications, it is clearly recommended to start when your CD4 count is reproducibly below 200 and many (myself included) suggest starting with counts below 350. As such, I'd suspect that the time to start is relatively soon, but need not be immediate. Talk to your doctor about your options in RSA and the local treatment approaches.

Stay in touch, let us know how things turn out. BY

cd4 helper
Side effects vs. acute infection