treatment now or can it wait 6 months?

Dr. Young,

Thanks for taking the time out to read my question.

I had an exposure exactly 4 months ago where I accidentally had brief unprotected exposure to a sex worker for about 5 or 6 seconds (3 thusts or so) and I'm uncircumcised.

I think this put me at significant risk and my test results will not be good...

Can I wait until the 6 month mark to begin treatment? Will it be too late to be effective?

Furhtermore, I called the AIDS hotline the next day and they told me exposure meds were only available to medical professionals... I found out about PEP 2 months later.. Why wasn't I told about PEP?

Thanks.

Thanks for your post.

Post-exposure prophylaxis is only effective in the first few days after a known exposure (whether its sexual or occupational). PEP is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for circumstances that include sexual exposures, including rape.

Unfortunately, in your circumstance, given the delay in the time of your exposure to a possible start date, there is little or no benefit to starting post-exposure prophylaxis.

That said, it would still be important to get follow up testing to determine whether your exposure resulted in infection.

Good luck, be safe. BY

Just knew it
cd4 helper