Decision Process for antiretroviral therapy

Doc,

I go to my ID for the first time on the 21st. I am well within the range to start therapy. How does an ID specialist decide what combination of drugs to give you? What are the decisions based on?

The decisions are informed by the various HIV treatment guidelines which include the DHHS, International AIDS Society, British HIV Association, and so on. Just as important is the personal preference of the physician. The clinician is not required to follow any of the guidelines (although most do) and many times may have a favorite starting regimen based on his or her own experience and reading of the treatment literature.

My partners newly diagnosed
before starting