The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Apr 15, 2005

Dear Doctor Wohl.

I would be really please if you could answer the following questions...i know that you have many everyday, and i do not consider myself better than anyone, but please answer this questions. I`m really scared and would like to ask you something about your experience in hiv treatment.

Six months and 2 days ago i had a non-protected relation with a person of unknown status. at 2 months of the relationship had a negative test and Today (6 months and two days after the exposure) i got my test elisa results and it was "indeterminate". I`m so scared.

1).- I`ve heard about window period...and read that a 6 month test would be considered conclusive. Did you ever see anyone serovonverting after six months?

2).- What does my indeterminate result means?. Should i start taking any meds?

3).- I thought my two months test was conclusive, i`m scared now.

Please doctor wohl, answer this wuestions....please. Many thanks. 3).-

Response from Dr. Wohl

You need to get an HIV RNA PCR (viral load) test done. I would ask for it now along with a repeat Elisa and Western blot and insist that the viral load test be run quickly (docs can often call labs and explain the situation to request a specimen be placed at the front of the line).

An indeterminate result can be a false positive or an early sign of seroconversion from HIV- to HIV+. It is unsual for someone to seroconvert after 6 months without a new exposure.


Start with low VL?
Re: CCR5 and CXCR4

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint