Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Start with low VL?
Apr 15, 2005

I am a 54 year old male recently tested positive with T cells of 530 and V 1910, otherwise good health. Dr recommends starting treatment with Truvada & NVP. Possible infection was recent, but more likely not. Comments, please?

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your post.

Given your good health, normal-range CD4 count and relatively low viral load, I wouldn't be in any hurry to start antiretroviral medications. Current guidelines don't really recommend therapy in patients with your lab values, unless you were very recently infected (within the past 4-8 weeks). Your low viral load (and presumably positive HIV antibody test) argues against such acute infection.

If I were you, I'd probably not start medications right now, but repeat a set of labs in the next couple of months to reassess where the counts are and to evaluate any trends. With your low viral load, I don't anticipate that you'll have any dramatic downward changes in your immune health.

Good luck, BY

Previous
Third Time a charm?
Next
PLEASE JUST A MINUTE.SACARED

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.