Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The Perfect First Combination?
Apr 14, 2005

Dr Pierone, I am most likely going to have to start drug therapy soon and was wondering if you could give me your clinical opinion on which combination would increase my compliance, decrease VL, increase my CD4 and less side effects...the perfect combination! ;)

My doc suggested Truvada/Sustiva or Truvada with PI (I think he suggested amprenavir or Reyataz?)...what about Epzicom?

And what's the advantage or disadvantage long term and short term of using NNRTI compared to using PI in terms of efficacy, resistance profile and side effects.

Thanks you so much

Response from Dr. Pierone

Ah yes, the perfect combination for treating HIV infection. We certainly are getting closer, but are not there yet. The traditional approach for treating HIV infection is a nucleoside pair along with either an NNRTI or protease inhibitor.

What is the best nucleoside backbone? We don't know for sure, but there are 3 main contenders - Combivir (AZT and 3TC), Epzicom (abacavir and 3TC), and Truvada (tenofovir and FTC). Combivir is a twice daily agent instead of once daily so it has a strike against it from the get-go. However, it has been shown to be roughly equivalent to Epzicom in a large clinical trial (both groups received Sustiva). Combivir has also been matched against Truvada and came up short. We don't have studies that directly compare Epzicom to Truvada, but one is underway. Based on the available data, most doctors are choosing Truvada over the other 2 agents for patients who are initiating therapy.

What about NNRTI versus PI? The advantages of using NNRTI based therapy include fewer pills, better effectiveness data when patients miss doses, less risk of metabolic toxicity, and cost. Disadvantages include CNS side effects (Sustiva) that are often temporary, birth defects (Sustiva), liver toxicity (Viramune), and greater risk of rapid resistance in the face of non-adherence. Based on the available data, most doctors are choosing NNRTIs over PIs for patients who are initiating therapy.

Hope this helps and thanks for posting.

Previous
just a list
Next
buffalo hump

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.