Your opinion about cure?

Dr. Pierone,

What is your opinion in regards to there never being a cure for HIV as stated by Dr. Young in the following post?

Hi DR Benjamin Young. I like to know if we ever going to be free from HIV/AIDS? I her they are getting very close around less then 5 years. Will it happen?

thanks

HIV/AIDS is not going away-- new cases continue to occur and rates have not decreased measurably in most locations. For those who are already infected with HIV, there will not be a cure or eradicative treatment.

Sorry to be gloomy, but these facts point to the need for continued efforts in prevention and better treatments.

BY

Being free of AIDS? Unfortunately, I don't think we will see this anytime soon. We have an entrenched worldwide pandemic that has not come close to peaking.

Will there be a cure? I think that we will find a cure for HIV infection and it will a result of genetic engineering strategies possibly combined with immune based therapy. It would be a long-shot that this would happen within 5 years. When this day comes, we will still face the monumental task of getting therapy to the millions that need it in less developed parts of the world.

Manageable Chronic Disease?
135t mutation?