Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Manageable Chronic Disease?
Apr 10, 2005

Hi there Dr. Young. I just recently had a visit with my ophthamologist. HIV came up in the conversation and he mentioned that at this time it is still premature to refer to HIV as a manageable chronic disease. Although, he did mention that HAART has greatly improved the prognosis of HIV patients.His comment made me very uneasy since you always mention that with acess to medications, one can hopefully live a near normal lifespan. What are your thoughts to my ophthamologist's comment??

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

I don't think that there's considerable differences here, only what comprises sufficient basis for calling this a manageable chronic disease. Some might want decades of experience to make this statement, others, like me, have patients who would have died, now 10 years on HAART, leading essentially normal lives. I think that this is enough evidence to make predictions for the future (but just predictions).

If one uses diabetes as a reference, I believe that HIV disease is a chronic, manageable disease. Without medications, patients with either disease die prematurely. Both diseases have significant behavioral factors that influence quality of life. Both require medications for optimal survival. Indeed, with medications, many (but certainly not all) patients live for a very long, possibly normal life span.

I hope that you find this helpful. BY

Previous
RE:about the nightmare drug Sustiva
Next
Your opinion about cure?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.