Re: I hate HIV

Dear Dr. Young,

Thank you for posting all the comments, it has been quite helpful as I posted the original one. As you know HIV affects everyone differently and for those people with stronger immunities (and personalities) to survive, they seem to do better. Unfortunately, in my case my cd4 is very low and just 2 months after infection started to suffer from hypogonadism along with constant blurred vision. This is not a good prognosis and I am not optimistic at all about treatments keeping me well for very long.

Thank you for your post.

As you point out there are many factors that govern the quality (and quantity) of life of persons with HIV infection or AIDS.

In the cases of persons with low CD4 counts, appropriate combination treatment and medical monitoring does result in a good prognosis. Hypogonadism is readily treated with a topical gel or weekly injection. (Though your blurred vision deserves prompt attention as I've mentioned in a separate post.)

For what anecdotes are worth, I have quite a few patients who were diagnosed with CD4 counts well below 50 who are well and leading essentially normal lives, many years after their initial diagnosis. Most are still on their first HAART regimens.

So, while your concern and lack of optimism are understandable, I'd argue with you about the poor overall prognosis. Please mention your concerns to your doctor or case manager. Perhaps a detailed discussion about your case can fill in the blanks for you.

Good luck, feel free to post back. BY

Eye Floaters and CMV
re:viral load detectable /dementia concerns