Newest "vaccine" in the works?

I have heard about new drugs in the works that block Hiv from entering cells that are still healthy. Is that what an inhibitor does? If this news is true, approximately how long untill this vaccine or pill could become available to us? It almost sounds as if this newest discovery could possibly keep Hiv from advancing in the body if it works. Something to look forward to?? This sounds promising...Thanks

Thanks for your post.

It sounds like you're refering to the drug class called CCR5 entry inhibitors. There are several so-called R5 inhibitors that are in advanced clinical trials. Candidates from Schering, Pfizer and GSK are among the furthest along. These drugs are not vaccines.

Most of the clinical trials are aimed at persons who are rather treatment experienced, though there is interest in evaluating the drugs in treatment naive persons. Your correct, at least in part, in that there is excitement about having an oral drug that might prevent HIV entry. Only time will tell what the long-term impact of such a strategy will have.

I'd guess that if things go well for the compounds, we might expect a submission for review and approval for use in the next 12-18 months, perhaps sooner.

Thanks for reading.

Recent bout of Shingles
Re: I hate HIV