Low dose prednisone

Hi, Dr. Young: Thank you for this forum.

My Q is, what would be generally regarded as the range for a low dose course of prednisone for 6 months? Where is the dosage/mgs per day line between a low and medium dose of prednisone if taken for 6 months? And, is there are dosage of prednisone that would concern you if taken by an HIV positive person due to crossing the line and starting to significantly reduce WBC's and T cells?

Many thanks.

Thank you for your post.

I'm not a fan (at least yet) of using low dose prednisone for the treatment of HIV. While the drug is used for a wide variety of conditions and there has been a report of increased CD4 cells, I'm not sure (nor is the general community) that the benefits outweighs the many known risks of indescriminate use of corticosteroid drugs.

Stay tuned, BY

personal question
Abdominal Bloating