treatment and life expectancy

If the average life expectancy of a HIV positive person is 10yrs how much longer will treatment extend the persons expected survival provided all goes well Chris SOUTH AFRICA

Chris- Thank you for your post.

As you may guess, such prognostication is only a crude estimate-- indeed, persons with HIV who have access to medications and trained medical care can live a very long time, perhaps to die of so-called natural causes. In this regard, here in the US and in Europe, the causes of death among HIV-infected persons have shifted from AIDS-related to non-AIDS related causes. I am hopeful that the many persons with HIV in your country will be able to achieve this too with the increasing access to antiretroviral medications.

I tell my recently diagnosed persons that if they take care of themselves and get routine medical and laboratory follow up, that they should have a near-normal life expectancy and probably outlive their doctor (since most are, saddly, younger than me).

Thanks for reading. BY

did they make me start to early
Started PEP rigime and need some answers