Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When to start treatment?
Apr 1, 2005

Hello,

I was diagnosed HIV+ in the beginning of 2-2005. I must have been infected within the last 12 month. I did my first two lab tests with the following results: Lab no 1 in Feb= VL 1900, Cd4 256, 23%, Lab no 2 (came back yesterday) VL 5900, Cd4 296, 20.1%. After the first lab test my doctor said he thinks my body is doing very well in fighting the virus, because my VL is so low and he deosn't think I should start meds soon. Now after the 2nd test he would like to wait and see the trend... My question: I realize my CD4 went up a bit but what is more inportant to me is that my percentag went from 23% to 20.1%. I red that under 21% the immune syem starts having trouble working well. In your opinion, should I go on meds right away or would it be ok to wait another coupe of month? Is it possible my immune system bounces back on its own?

Thanks for your help.

:)

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post.

Your summary of your heatlh situation seems pretty accurate. Your labs fall squarely into a range where there is some uncertainty about the requirement to start on medications.

In these circumstances, provided that the patient can return for scheduled laboratory follow up, I don't insist on starting medications and will often advise getting repeat labs to assess the trend in CD4 and viral load. BY

Previous
Peter Duesberg
Next
Chosing the right Primary Care Physician

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.