Re: HIV Positive Expat In Thailand

Hi Dr G,

This is a reply to a previous poster wondering about HIV care in Thailand.

I am an expat westerner living in Thailand with HIV. My girlfriend is also HIV positive. (Only found out 3 months ago, but a lot has happened since then - most of it good, funnily enough! This disease is not going to run, or ruin, our lives!)

I would just like to let the previous poster know that HIV care and medical care in general here in Thailand is first class.

The hospital I go to in Bangkok (called "Bunrumgrad Hospital") is a world-class medical establishment, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for any medical care - HIV or otherwise.

My HIV specialist here is also a highly qualified individual, and I respect and value his opinions very much. He is Harvard educated, and very much up-to-date with the latest trends in treating and managing HIV.

HIV medication is available here, and full lab tests too, in order to acertain CD4 counts and viral loads.

So I would say to the previous poster - "Go for it!"

Thailand is an amazing country to live, and you will have a wonderful experience if you take the job here, and no worries about the medical care whatsoever.

I hope this helps.

As we say in Thailand - "Chok dee!" (Good luck!)

Hello and thanks for this important information. I am glad to hear that excellent care is available. Based on my visit to Thailand last July for the AIDS conference I am in complete agreement that this is a remarkable country with incredible people.

What replaces Sustiva?
Integrase Inhibitor