Side effects of Combivir and Stocrin

Hi, I've been on combivir and stocrin since february 2002 and it's working OK. (negative vl,CD4s around 700.) So far, no visible side effects. I have now been given the option to stop my treatment but since everything is going OK I see no big reason for that. Of course I would like to know what side effects are most commonly expected from Combivir and Stocrin, and after how long. I would also like to know wether lipodistrophy is included in these risks. Thanking you in advance,

Combivir is a combination of AZT (zidovudine, Retrovir) and 3TC (lamivudine, Epivir) and Stocrin is Sustiva (efavirenz). Many people tolerate this combination for many years with no evident problems.

If lipodystrophy (mostly loss of fat in face and extremities) develops on this regimen, it usually does so gradually and may become apparent several years into therapy. Lipid elevations also may occur and some people on AZT develop anemia. Sleep disturbance is also a potential side effect of Sustiva.

For those on therapy with no side effects there is no compelling reason to stop. There are ongoing studies that should help decide how long to treat, and whether stopping therapy is reasonable for some patients. Thanks for posting.

new to treatment-horrible rash
What replaces Sustiva?