Preventive Vaccines, What will it mean for positives?

Dear dr.

For starters, I want to compliment you with the great work you're doing. Thanks a million! I read a recent interview (28 feb. 2005 - http://www.kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_hiv.cfm#28360) with dr. Robert Gallo, co-discoverer of the Hiv-virus, in which he said that he expected there to be a preventive vaccine in 3 to 5 years. I did not quite know to which forum I should pose this question but: what do you think the consequences of such a preventive vaccine would be on Hiv-positive people? With this I mean: do you think it will be a therapeutic vaccine as well or not, will it diminish funds and motivation for Hiv-treatment? I know this is hard to estimate, but I'm just interested in your views. It would be awfull to be infected only a couple of years to early!

Thanks in advance!

Dutch-guy

I think that work involved in preventive and therapeutic vaccines are related and complement each other. For example, the recent studies showing the potential of dendritic cell therapeutic vaccines could influence preventive vaccine researchers. Even a simple change in procedure like intradermal vaccine placement (to take advantage of resident dendritic cells) might have a significant and positive impact.

I don't think a preventive vaccine would diminish interest and motivation on advancing treatment for HIV+ people. From a purely economic perspective, there is ample incentive to continue to develop therapies for HIV-infected persons. Thanks for posting.

Defining AIDS
new to treatment-horrible rash