HIV POZ! What to do now?

I recently found out that I am Hiv poz and I do not know what to do next. I live in a very small town (500 pep) and I do not want to go to the local health dept because they talk alot in this town and I have to consider my children's feelings in all of this. What do I do now?

It is very common for people with HIV infection who live in small towns to seek medical attention out of town. There are pockets of HIV expertise in local health departments in many small towns, but medical care can sometimes be spotty. There are also challenges maintaining confidentiality in some smaller communities. The frequency of medical visits is typically every 3 months, so even a 2 to 3 hour trip is feasible in many cases. The American Academy of HIV medicine has a provider finder on their website and this can be a useful resource. Best of luck to you and let us know how things go.

hiv positive expat in thailand
RE: I hate HIV