hcv and asthma

My wife 54 years old had blood transfusion in 1982.Now she has been tested Hcv geno 3a,RT-PCR 9000 viral copies/ml.She takes medicines for asthma.She is 5-6 ,170lb.What treatment does she need.regards O.P.Katyal

OP--Thank you for your post.

Your wife has confirmed HCV infection with a positive HCV RNA PCR; she has a HCV genotype that predicts a good response to HCV therapy.

The question about treatment of HCV has received a lot of attention lately-- monitoring of liver function tests (AST, ALT, albumin, bilirubin) are crude estimates of liver disease. However, the definitive test to assess extent of liver disease is a liver biopsy.

I use the later test to ascertain how soon patients with HCV need to start therapy- for persons with evidence of liver scaring (fibrosis), I usually recommend considering treatment. For those persons with no evidence of scaring, a conservative approach of watching and monitoring can be considered. For patients with good prognosis genotypes, like your wife, we'll consider treatment even if the biopsy shows no evidence of scaring.

The primary issue with treatment is that is associated with side effects (flu-like symptoms, depression, anemia, etc) and is prolonged (6-12 months, usually the later for persons with HIV). HCV treatment involves the use of ribavirin (an oral pill) and a interferon (usually pegalated, administered by injection). Depending on which asthma medications your wife takes, there shouldn't be any significant drug-drug interactions.

I hope this is helpful. BY

anal warts and HIV
Slow to test CD4 and viral load