How long before balanitis heals?

My partner went to see his doctor after he developped a rash on his penis(small red bumps on the tip and under the base of the head). He was told it was a male yeast infection and given some cream to apply. There has been no improvement and he now has a discharge. We are concerned he has been misdiagnosed and we are going for a second opinion but are wondering if this is perhaps unnecessary and we should be more patient with the cream. He's been using it for about a week? We've avoided any sort of touch or sexual intercourse as it is quite painful.

Thanks for your post.

As you can imagine, this is the kind of situation that is difficult to accurately diagnose via internet.

If I were your partner, rather than seeking a second opinion, I would be bringing the lack of response to the medication to my doctor's attention. Failure to improve happens in clinical medicine and doesn't always indicate incompetence on the part of the doctor (though can). Indeed, there could be an alternative diagnosis or even a reaction to the medication. Either way, sounds like it's time for a reassessment.

Good luck, BY

First changes
CCR5 follow up