Kaletra liquid

I have been on Kaletra capsules for the last 9 months. The GI side effects are not getting better. I am over the cramping, bloating and constant diarrhea.

Recently, I have made of aware of a liquid formula of Kaletra as well the possibilty of taking Kaletra once daily 6 pills instead of 3 pills 2x a day and just 3 pills once a day. Are you aware of how people are tolerating any of these other options?

Thanks for your post.

We have used both strategies with lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra)-- for persons that have difficulty with swallowing the capsules, using the liquid formulation may help.

Once-daily dosing has been studied in the Abbott 418 clinical trial. The results of this study demonstrate that there is similar performance between once- and twice-daily Kaletra, however, the tolerability is considerably worse, with increased gastrointestinal side effects.

If your having significant problems with cramps, bloating and diarrhea, I'd doubt that either of these strategies will improve your symptoms.

An alternative strategy would be to switch to one of the two newest PIs, atazanavir (Reyataz) or fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir). Both of these medications have been shown to perform similarly to Kaletra (in salvage treatment) and appear to be at least as well, if not better tolerated. In our clinic, our impression of both newer PIs is that they are much better tolerated than Kaletra and offer patients like you a very acceptable alternative.

I hope this helps, good luck. BY

Could she really be negative
CCR5 Inhibitors