Foot Pain

Mr. Young, I respect your opinion and advice and hope that you can help me. My friend was diagnosed with Aids about 2.5 months ago. She is on HAART treatment for the past two months and I have definitely seen an improvement. Her doctor seems optimistic that she will be able to live a relatively normal life for many years, however she says that the bottom of her feet constantly hurts her, preventing her from walking for long durations. Is there anything that can be done? She talked with the doctor but so far he has not prescribed anything in particular for this problem.

Thank you for your post.

Foot pain is a particularly common and troubling symptom of HIV and/or antiretroviral treatment. Most commonly, this is caused by peripheral neuropathy-- the pain is symmetric and can involves the fingers and hands too. Having advanced HIV disease or certain medications (particularly ddI or d4T) can increase the risk that neuropathy happens.

It's also very relevant to know that not all foot pain is neuropathy-- I've seen plenty of patients who were "diagnosed" with neuropathy, only to find that they've got plantar fasciitis or a neuroma-- medical conditions that are treated with entirely different modalities.

If in the end, your friend has neuropathy, there are medical strategies (switch off of offending medications) or medications to treat the symptoms.

Good luck, keep us posted and thanks for reading. BY

Does HAD get better with HAART
Not That Bad