Does HAD get better with HAART

Before being diagnosed I showed signs of HAD. Confusion, memory loss, tremors, loss of balance, weakness in limbs, etc. I lost my ability to type, or do simple math. I became depressed, paranoid and withdrawn.

Since being on HAART the last 2 years, I have regained most abilities. But not where I used to be. Does the brain ever fully recover -- reconnect?

Sincerely,

Worried

Dear Worried, Thank you for your post.

I'm assuming that your abbreviation HAD refers to HIV-associated dementia--

Treatment of HIV with HAART frequently improves this condition, but it's also fair to say that it's not uncommon to see residual symptoms (that is to say not complete reversal). It would appear that you might fall into this category.

For patients like yourself, I'd make sure that you've had good neurological and psychiatric evaluations to make sure that there aren't other addressable issues (be it drug toxicity or depression or other anatomical problems).

Good luck, BY

starting treatment with low VL
Foot Pain