Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The Current State of Corticosteroid Treatment in HIV Disease
Mar 4, 2005

Dear doctor, Last year a British group published the results of a 10-year long study of low-dose prednisolone in 44 moderately advanced HIV patients. The results were mixed, but reported as good (over-all).

I read that HIV disease is primarily caused by the death of dendritic cells (means unknown), the non-specific (to an antigen) over activation of CD8+ T cells, and self-destruction (via programmed cell death) of CD4+ T cells. In addition, I read that the bone marrow, thymus and lymph nodes are all irreversibly negatively impacted early in HIV disease

Could you please provide some insight into how a corticosteroid like prednisolone interrupts HIV's pathways of destruction and preserves dendritic cells, CD8+ T cells and CD4+ T cells?

Did ten years of low-dose predisolone cause any of the 44 British HIV patients to suffer any side effects (destruction of blood vessels feeding the hip joint tissue, etc)?

I've been using a topical corticosteroid (BetaVal) to treat mild psoriosis on my hands, arms and tail-bone areas for seventeen years (since becoming HIV+). I would have painful, bloody open sores during the dry months without my BetaVal.

My CD4+ T cells remain >1,000 cells/mml (nadir ~700 cells/mml), thanks to early NRTI treatment, and perhaps thanks to early BetaVal use.

Are any of your patients using an oral or topical corticosteroid?

Are any American researchers looking into the use of low-dose corticosteroids in early HIV treatment? If not, why not?

Thank you, Tom

Response from Dr. Pierone

I don't know the details of the British study that you reference, but there was an interesting German study of long-term low dose prednisolone use presented at the International AIDS conference in Bangkok last summer. I spoke with the author and he say no serious side effects related to prednisone, but the study was not looking systematically at this issue. I have had a few patients that have been on long-term oral corticosteroids for treatment of non-HIV-related conditions. The numbers are a handful, but my patients have done well off HIV therapy. There are many people with HIV on steroid creams, but in most circumstances not enough of the steroid is absorbed into the bloodstream to affect the immune system. The exception would be regular use of potent steroid creams, especially over large areas of skin.

The study that should be done now is a placebo controlled trial of low dose prednisone for HIV infection. It is not being done anywhere that I know of. In our upside-down, medical research establishment, there is no financial incentive for this line of research, and further studies will depend of the efforts of some under-funded investigator someplace.

Previous
The future....
Next
CROI Dendritic Cell Vaccine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.