I'm an RN as well...

Dear Dr. Pierone,

This is not a question as much as a note of encouragement to an RN colleague. I've been HIV positive for the last 6 years. I started HIV medication for the first time about six months ago. I am a nurse in very busy ICU, and I don't personally feel that I am at any more risk than anyone else around me. Provided I religiously observe Universal Precaution/Body Substance Isolation. I find nursing to be a very satisfying career. And I would suggest seriously talking to your counselor as well as your friends, and peers before giving up on nursing. That said, I think I'm more leery of the STRESS which can sometimes be associated with our nursing duties. And from that perspective, you may want to explore a more "sedate" setting than the ER or ICU. Whatever Med's you start on , I advise you observe PERFECT adherence. You will find yourself feeling very much up to the challenge very soon! Like everything else, we just have to do the footwork! Best of Lucks!

A friend from Arizona.

Hi, and thanks for your words of encouragement. I have also observed that HIV-infected health care workers often have a extraordinary degree of interest and compassion for their patients.

HIV C Clade
Slow progressor?