For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

eye splash

I am a health care ansthesiologist who had a splash to the eye from a syrine of a hiv+ patient. The viral titers on the patient were unable to be detected. I have started pep therapy. Is that over-kill? thanks

It depends. The formal guidelines in a situation like this say "consider basic PEP". Basic PEP is a 2 drug regimen instead of 3. What I recommend depends on the specific situation. If it was simply a syringe used in IV tubing upstream from patient, then PEP is overkill. If the syringe was used to draw blood (or there was visible blood in the syringe) then PEP is appropriate. Hope this helps.

time between exposure and full blown symptoms
did they make me start to early