Confused and concerned

Hello, I have heard to numerous of answers to my question. So can you tell me what is typically the average time for a person to have Hiv before turning into Aids? In some of your recent answers related to my question it appears you say a long, long time. It also seems there are people out there for ten to fifteen years that do not have Aids but have Hiv. Would appreciate any input to make more clear. I do understand that we have better drugs to combat this disease today. Have you heard of Fuzeon? Thanks for your time...

Thanks for your post.

There is a wide variability to the rates of HIV disease progression. On average, it takes years, typically 5-8 years from time of initial infection to first AIDS event (assuming that there is no medication). Medications should prevent having and AIDS complication, provided that they are started (and HIV diagnosed) in time.

Newer medications do offer easier to take and better tolerated options than in the past. Yes, I've heard of Fuzeon-- this is a newer drug that blocks viral entry into the human cell; a medication that is reserved for patients with limited treatment options because of a more complicated mode of administration (injections) and extremely high cost. You can read more about Fuzeon at TheBody's forums.

Hope this helps, BY

First Regimen/Severe Itching
Is it Time to Get on Meds?