Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When to start
Feb 10, 2005

I have been HIV positive for 3 years and my CD4 count has dropped from 454 with a VL of 58000 to a CD4 count of 364 and a VL of 68,500. Have the guidelines for starting treatment changed over the last year or so. I recall that the recommendation was to start when your VL was above 55000 and your CD4 count dropped to 250? I do feel some fatigue and have a consistent dry cough. Other then those symtoms I feel great! Do you think it is time for me to start taking meds? Could I already be resistant to some medications based on the strain of HIV? Do you ever do resistence testing prior to starting medication? Your Web site is a wonderful source of information! Please let me know how to proceed.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post and nice words.

First off, current US treatment guidelines suggest considering treatment in persons with CD4 counts below 350 and/or with viral loads that are in excess of 100,000. In every individual circumstance, it would be important for the patient and doctor to weigh the pros and cons of initiating treatment. In my practice, it's important that the patient be willing and able to adhere to a treatment and that they fully understand this balance between potential benefit (usually great) and potential risk (usually low).

With your current CD4 count and HIV viral load, I don't think that there is a strong indication to start medications. That said, it still is important to understand and diagnose the cause(s) of your fatigue and cough. Make sure that you mention these symptoms to your doctor.

As for drug resistance, it is standard of care in our office to obtain drug resistance testing in all treatment-naive patients-- this is because about 10% of our chronically-infected, treatment naive patients have some evidence of drug resistance; usually non-nucleoside resistance, but other patterns too. There's no way for you or your doctor to know if you might have resistance without running a resistance test. These tests may not pick up every instance of resistance, so it remains important once HIV medications are started, that the virologic performance (ie, viral load response) is monitored closely-- for those patients who do not have adequate initial responses (but are fully adherent), the possibility of hidden drug resistance should be considered.

I hope this helps. Good luck, BY

Previous
brownish smudge like spots
Next
a few questions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.