Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Trying to conceive
Feb 9, 2005

Hello. I have been diagnosed with Hiv now for almost 3yrs and right now I am single and practicing abstinence since i have been diagnosed. My tcell count is at 384 and my viral load is undetectable. My wonder is that when i do decide to marry and have children how does one go about conceiving without the partner getting infected. I am aware now as an HIv positive woman I am able to have children without infecting them but what about my husband. How can I get pregnant without infecting my husband and what are the chances of conceiving through normal sexual intercorse without transmitting HIV.

Response from Dr. Pierone

The safest way to conceive without infecting your partner is through artificial insemination with sperm donated by your future husband. A strategy utilizing artificial insemination would allow you to become pregnant, and also protect your husband. The risk of transmitting HIV to a male partner during unprotected intercourse varies depending on the individual circumstances having an undetectable viral load on antiretroviral therapy translates into a very low risk of transmission. However, even with controlled viral replication in blood, there is still a risk of transmission during sexual intercourse. Hope that this helps and I wish you the best.

Previous
PEP question
Next
brownish smudge like spots

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.