hyperthermia?

Dear Dr. I have heard that hyperthermia can be effective in slowing down the onset of AIDS because the HIV virus becomes progressively less active as the core body temperature rises. I have heard it is also effective in soothing a lot of the physical problems that go along with infection. Have you heard anything about this?

Hyperthermia has garnered a lot of attention, but as a matter of routine I view this as very experimental and I would not recommend hyperthermia treatment for HIV.

This is from the NIH's AIDSinfo site: An unproven and dangerous experimental procedure that involves temporarily heating a patient's body core to temperatures of up to 108 F on the theory that this temperature kills free HIV and HIV-containing cells. One method for accomplishing this is by passing patients' blood through an external heater. This is called extracorporeal whole body hyperthermia.

A good overview was written up in AIDSMap AIDSMap

BY

Newly Positive - A Few Questions
HIV never progressing???