nontreatable problems?

Are there effects from HIV that treatment does not currently help with?

I have heard of people developing central nervous system disorders over time, and have also heard of problems with body fat distribution. Perhaps there are other things as well. I am really just wondering how close to 'normal' life will be, even with treatment.

Thanks for your post.

For the majority of recently diagnosed or those who have recently started on medications, there are few, if any side effects and life does proceed "normally".

This statement in no way is an attempt to dismiss the fact that many persons are troubled with lingering problems-- body fat changes (lipodystrophy), nerve injury to name just a few. Paradoxically, it's important to bear in mind that one of the major risk factors in these complications isn't medications (though they can and do contribute), but rather in waiting to long to treat HIV (ie, having a low CD4 count at time of treatment initiation).

That said, one story may be worth a thousand additional words-- I saw a patient today in my office who was diagnosed with HIV 12 years ago, she had a CD4 count that was about 400 when treatment was initiated; there were some side effects for the first years (on older, more complicated regimens). The patient is now on a modernized regimen that includes a boosted PI and feels terrific and has no symptoms, either from HIV or medications. This person has been on HIV medications now for about 8 years. So one story among many of life preserved with excellent quality of life.

Hope this helps, thanks for reading. BY

should i ?
Reducing AZT intake