The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

fuzeon travel
Feb 6, 2005

I have recently begun taking fuzeon and have no trouble with the routine, but am a frequent overseas traveller. I am wondering if you've had much feedback from patients about difficulties in getting through customs in various countries with all those needles? I'm mindful especially of potential difficulties in some Third World destinations.

Response from Mr. Kurtyka

I have not heard of anyone having problems with international travel and Fuzeon or other injectable medications. People with diabetes face the same concern and usually don't have any difficulty. There are some general recommendations for traveling with needles and medication:

-Make sure you take your meds in the originally containers that are clearly labeled with your name

- Consider carrying an extra prescription for your medication and needles - Carry a letter signed by your healthcare provider indicating that the medications and needles have been prescribed for medical reasons

- Bring an appropriate needle disposal box for the used needles

- Be aware of different countries requirements or regulations re: traveling with HIV. There are still countries that might not be as accepting of HIV infection as you'd expect, and HIV medications that you are transporting could draw unwanted attention.

There used to be some great resources on the internet related to traveling with HIV, but my recent search came up pretty empty. The following might be of some use to you:

CDC Travel

Twice a day? Exactly 12 hrs?
Replacement needles

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint