For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Very low platelet count

Hi, mi name is Hilda and I am currently 20 years old. March of last year I was diagosed with thrombocytopenia, and was treating it with steroids, which made me gain weight, and my doctor said that it can come back any time. My platelet count went all the way down to 13. And I was wondering, was i ever in any type of danger?

Hilda- Thank you for your questions.

From your question, I cannot tell if you have HIV infection or not-- either way, having very low platlet counts places persons at risk for bleeding. From what you've described, it appears that you did not have any bleeding problems and now (on steroids) no longer have significantly low platlets. Because of this, I don't really think that you have to worry about your previously abnormal counts.

I hope that you don't have any additional problems with your blood counts; good luck, thanks for posting. BY

No insurance, not eligible for State Drug Assistance Program