A start with stocrin/epivir/viread?

Dear Doc,

I'm HIV+ and I'm going to be on my first regime soon since my T-cell count is going down quick lately - around 320 now. My Doc recomended me 1 NNRTI + 2 NRTI; So, Efavirenz (stocrin - named sustiva in the U.S.) + Tenofovir (viread) + Lamivudine (epivir). Do you think this is a good one's a day combination to start with? I don't mind a twice a day combination if the benefits are greater, the side effects less...

Thanks,

Regards,

Simon - Amsterdam

Thanks for your post.

The combination of tenofovir (Viread) + 3TC (Epivir) + efavirenz (Stocrin, Sustiva) is a highly recommended and well studied first-line regimen for HIV. This combo is among the preferred initial treatments in the IAS and DHHS treatment guidelines. The Gilead 903 clinical trial has reported the attributes of the combination over the past several years-- notable for excellent durability, tolerability and toxicity profiles.

In the current treatment options, there are other once- and twice-daily treatment regimens, including other nucleoside combinations with efavirenz (such as AZT/3TC (Combivir), tenofovir/FTC (Truvada) or abacavir/3TC (Epzicom, Kivexa)) and options that include protease inhibitors (lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra), atazanavir (Reyataz) and fosamprenavir (Lexiva, Telzir)). Make sure that you understand the pros and cons of the regimen that you and your doctor decide upon, it's usually worthwhile discussing alternative options, if only to be sure that the one you decide on is right for you.

Good health to you, let us know how you do once you start on medications. BY

quality of life on hard
Sustiva Dizziness