Contrary to Let Everyone See This

I am afraid I must disagree with much of the content Mr. George A.E's position on anti viral medication.

I was diagnosed with HIV in 1990. By 1996 I had 96 T cells and a VL of about 100,000. I finally caved to my doctor (poor woman I caused her so much stress) and started taking HAART. Crix, Zerit, and Epivir. This was about 6 years into my infection. Even though I had not had any OIs within a few weeks I felt 50 years younger. I had slowly been winding down for 6 years and didn't even realize how poorly I felt until I felt well again. I had to switch from the Crix to Viracep because of kidney stones but otherwise the medicine worked for over 9 years on me. I've recently switched to Kaletra after getting resistance to Viracept.

My quality of life is fabulous. Georgie's statment that a person on HAART has a questionable quality of life is at best total lunacy. Dr. Pierone is my doctor and he sees every month how great my life is. I travel all over the world, I scuba dive, I play a mean game of poker, I boat, I (and many many others) have great lives and wouldn't have if it weren't for HAART. I'd be dead. Comparing the side effects of living with some GI distress or pushing up daisys I think I've got a bargain.

Sure the big Pharmacutical companies would love us all to take drugs ASAP and flood them with cash. But I've never had a doctor try to force me to take drugs, or to take drugs I was uncomfortable with. I don't know Doctor Young but I'm pretty sure he's not getting rich taking his time to help people here. And even if he does make a good living in spite of the HMOs if he's committed to his patients why shouldn't he be rewarded.

There is no black and white with regards to HAART. Each person must make his own decisions of what's right for him.

But jumping up and down and screaming about capitalism being bad and trying to fabricate facts of quality of life serves no purpose except to scare people who really don't need the drama at this point in their lives.

Thanks for your comments; they provide an important counterpoint.

You're fortunate to have Jerry as your doctor-- he's a good one.

Thanks for reading and posting. BY

Madness!
Sexual Problems Redux