Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

When do I start treatments?
Jan 31, 2005

Hi Doctor,

First of all, thanks for all your wonderful advice, you do a great service. My question is that I have recently found out I'm HIV + and had my viral load and CD4 counts done.

My viral load is 36,200 and CD4 is 561 (29%). I have read so many different positions on starting treatment, but the one that sticks in my mind is to start when the viral load is at 55,000 copies or higher.

Should I follow that recommendation, or should I just allow my CD4's to remain high (if they do) and wait until I'm at 350 CD4? I know that one needs a crystal ball to predict what might happen since there are no long term studies that determine the outcome potential of early vs. delayed treatment, but what's your intuition tell you?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

In general, most experts will delay the initiation of HIV treatments for a while-- current guidelines (as you refer to) don't recommend starting until CD4s are around 350. This recommendation isn't just a crystal ball, but is based on observational studies of thousands of patients that show that there is little measurable benefit for starting therapy with higher CD4s. Not a statement etched in stone and clearly the history of HIV treatments records plenty of times when we've been misinformed. I think that a more qualitative (rather than quantitative) way of thinking of this is that there are some risks and costs involved with treatment-- with high CD4 counts, there is little benefit (though perhaps theoretical ones) whereas with lower CD4 counts there is potential benefit. There is some emerging evidence that waiting too long places patients at increased (perhaps irreversible) risk of developing HIV complications, such as lipodystrophy. Balancing all these competing issues crystalizes into a watershed of decisions that the guidelines capture as a threshold to start.

For any one individual, there are differences in the factors that come to influence this decision. We live in an era of individualized therapies-- individualized treatment regimens and treatment strategies, but in general, I agree with the current guidelines with regard to when to start. Invest the time to learn about your options and discuss them with your healthcare provider.

Good luck, thanks for reading. BY

Previous
First Line Therapy For Treatment Naive
Next
Let every one see this. An honest view.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.