Early versus Late treatment

When will the information regarding early treatment or later treatment come out. When will this study be complete. Because recently infected people may benefit from knowing. It seems to me that early treatment would benifit the patient similar to pep. The longer u let hiv mutate it becomes stronger and stronger. If the poisionous drugs can eradicate most of the latent hiv in the body before it mutates to full functioning virus, I think the logical step is early treatment.

The SMART study is slated to run for 5 to 9 years, so we can't expect short-term answers. But over the coming years we will have indirect evidence from large observational cohort studies that will help to guide these crucial decisions. I do think that development of safer medications that are less prone to development of viral resistance will shift the balance towards early treatment.

Just got diagnosed, scared and confused about treatments
New standard for starting HAART?