Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you Benjamin
Jan 26, 2005

hello I just read an email a negative women wrote you stating she was dating a positive man and very in love. Well that's me except for i am positive and have been with my negative husband for 6 yrs. I was infected just a few months before i met the love of my life. While be poz i have accomplished several goals; buying a house, graduating in may with a degress in education, and marrying the man of my dreams. I haven't slept lately after reading an article stating that ppl only live 16 yrs with hiv and even with antivirals they get aids after 9 yrs and normally die six yrs later. I know several ppl in southern ca that are alive after 20 and doing okay, many doing well btwen 10 and 15. I always assumed that most ppl have at least 3 treatment options. well starting with at least 300 t cells why couldn't that be 9 yrs and by then i would think they had at least another two. Is this a ridiculous thought. I was beginging to think treatment was a bogos idea, why do it for 6 more yrs, thats not a normal lifespan who anything close to it. Most of us aren't asking for miricles but at least a chance to survive and accomplish something. Six yrs still seemed pretty fatal not manageable to me. After reading your response to this girl i have hope again and should be starting theropy in sept of this yr, waiting for husband's new insurance restrictions to go through. My t's are 335, hope i can hang. Thanks for giving some of us hope.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your response and kind words.

With your counts, I have no reason to think that you can't "hang" until your husbands insurance kicks in. Indeed, in many places, doctors would probably continue to wait to initiate treatment with counts of 335 (assuming that you're asymptomatic).

It's nice to know that our work can be of both medical and emotional help to people with HIV. Good luck, let us know how you're doing from time to time.

BY

Previous
How long can someone with HIV live?
Next
Nevirapine warning

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.