Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How long can someone with HIV live?
Jan 26, 2005

i just embarked on a relationship with a positive man (i'm negative). it's something i never imagined myself getting into. i'm trying to arm myself with info on issues anticipated but one which really stands out (painfully) is the question of mortality. he has been positive for 11 years and is compliant with his medication and has undetectable viral loads. my question is this - how long has the longest living + man lived? i know it'll b tough when that day arrives but i'm hoping it never does. am i burying my head in the sand?

Response from Dr. Young

Dear "?burying my head": Thanks for your question.

I don't think that your head is in the sand, nor in the clouds.

I tell my patients that I expect them to live normal- or at least near-normal life spans. The fact that your friend has an undetectable viral load indicates that his virus is well suppressed and that treatments are very effective-- further evidence that he is on an excellent prognostic path.

How long has someone lived with HIV? I have patients who are survivors from the 1980's in my practice; these are very unusual patients, insomuch as they survived the dark days. More relevant is the fact that many patients who started on combination treatment in the mid 1990s remain on their first regimens, with excellent health.

So, I think this means that the man that you care for should be around for a long time; probably too long for me to accurately predict. Live life, enjoy life. Thanks for reading. BY

Previous
Dendritic Cell Therapy
Next
Thank you Benjamin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.