STARTING TREATMENT

hi dr young. i am the person from portugal that have send you an e-mail about my viral load that have not dropped very much with my first therappy that was viread,videx ec and stocrin.when i wrote you i had read on the body that the association of viread,videx,stocrin did not produced good results in people takin this combination for the first time.i toke this regimen for 8 weeks and the results were very bad.i have started with virol load higher than 500 000,cd4 215.the other labs were virol load 428000 and cd4 185.then the doctor said that it was bad news and she has changed stocrin because of side effects to kaletra,and videx to epivir.all tis was in september, and i think before the news that videx, viread,stocrin were not produccing good results.at that time of my first labs i have came out from pcp.when the results of my first lab came the doctor required resistant tests.i have already the results after ihave changed my first combo to viread,epivir,kaletra.in two months of this new combo my virol load dropped from 428000 to indetectable and cd 4 from 185 to 430.she said that it was good news and i asked her about the resistant tests.she said that they were required but they could not done it because my virol load is indetectable.it seems to her,but she does not now that i am not resistant to the non nukes because i have not missed a single dose of the haart treatment and also because of this excellent results of the second combo.i am still worried because i would like to not become resistant to the non nukes and thake them in the future.do you think that i am in the rigth track?if my virol load continues indetectable the cd4 will continue rising? thank you very much and congratulations for your excellent work. jose

Jose- Great to hear from you and your results. These are terrific news, that your viral load is now undetectable on tenofovir/3TC/ Kaletra. I do think that you're on the right track; certainly if your viral load remains undetectable and you continue to take your medications, I'd expect that your CD4 count will continue to rise.

It's difficult to know exactly what resistance pattern you might have acquired from your first regimen, but I'd be concerned about the possibility that you could have resistance to non-nukes as well as some limited resistance to nucelosides too.

Thanks for your warm comments, good health to you. BY

very important question
No virus and not on meds