CD4 %

Hi Docs..I was diagnosed in early Dec 2004 cd4 1129, 30%, vl 55000. In eartly Jan 2005 cd4 875, 34%, vl 38000. My MD says that I am doing better because my percentage went up. Im confused because my cd4 dropped so much so quickly. Please help me understand. Am I really doing better? Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting. When CD4 cells are so high it is very common to see them fluctuate by hundreds at a time. The CD4 % tends to vary less so it is another way to track the status of immune function. There is no significant difference between these readings and the long-term trend is most important.

Too early to have begun treatment?
Follow-up on Paris/Brazilian Study