What to take after a 2 year "holiday"?

After 7 years of Combivir and Viracept, I became resistant and went off meds in Dec 2002. T cells staying around 380, viral load creeping up every 3 months, now at 25000. I have a history of hepatitis B, and am an alcoholic, now 2 years sober. If my labs continue on the current trend, my Dr guesses that meds are in my future in the next year. I want my new meds to have minimal side effects, and no lypodystrophy (sp?). Is this possible? I am more concerned about side effects and fatty deposits than I am about how many pills, and how often I need to take them. What would you suggest?

Thanks,

Steve S. in San Diego, CA

The best choice will depend to some degree on what type of resistance mutations the virus developed when the first regimen failed. So the results of previous genotype or phenotype from that time will be important. But at a minimum you should have the NNRTI class (Sustiva, Viramune) and Viread available. Viread also has activity against Hepatitis B virus and it has less risk of lipodystrophy so you can likely count on it being part of the next cocktail. If you can get back with the resistance results I can give you some other ideas. Thanks for posting.

Primary HIV infection
Treatment for Male Yeast Infections