when does one get sick?
Jan 20, 2005
I am wondering, when does one with HIV get sick? At which level? What VL or CD counts?
Response from Dr. Young
In general terms, simply having a high viral load does not result in sickness. By contrast, persons with lower CD4 cell counts (definitely below 200, though some are symptomatic with numbers in the 300-range) are commonly symptomatic.
The time from initial infection to symptoms varies from person to person (and at a rate which seems to depend on viral load), though is usually measured in years. BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Long Do I Wait To Get Tested After Condom Broke?
- Precum Touching Vagina And HIV Transmission Risk
- Receiving Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- What Are The Chances Of Getting HIV From Giving Handjob?
- Do Swollen Lymph Nodes Mean I Have AIDS?
- Sore Throat After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.