Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4 = 50---no meds
Jan 16, 2005

My partner currently has 50 cd4 cells +80,000 VL & has declined meds / all prophylaxis for over a year. my qustion is = whats the typical -average, mortality rate/s for someone like this. I know he's at extreme risk for a host of complications. When he stopped meds ,14 montha ago , he was undetectable, 140 cells, -he feels pretty darn ok, Im very distraught , resigned... thanx

Response from Dr. Young

Dear Distraught- Thanks for your post.

It sounds like your in a difficult situation. Persons with CD4 counts below 100, on average have a ~30% mortality per year. This number is based on the death rate among such persons in the pre-HAART era. Some persons do better, some do worse; but no matter how one looks at it, without any HIV medications or preventive (prophylactic) medications (to prevent pneumonia), your partner is at high risk-- even if he feels darn ok.

I'd think that the key issue is understanding why he stopped his medications at a time when they appeared to be working (at least virologically). Was it because of side effects or pill count? It's conceivable to me that these issues might very well be addressable.

Hope this helps. Write back if we can be of additional help. BY

Previous
? Immunocompromised
Next
Waiting to start meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.