Illness & possibility of resistance during initail phase of treatment.

Does having 2 significant illness during my first month of treatment increase my risk of developing resistance. During this month I've have diverticulitus and the flu. (Not primary infection - just good old fashion flu). At start CD4 = 250, VL=50,000, taking once a day Sustiva, Abacavir and 3TC.

Thank-you Worried

Dear Worried;

Thanks for your post.

Assuming that your illnesses have not affected your adherence to your treatment, having had the flu and diverticulitis shouldn't raise the risk of developing drug resistance to your HIV medications.

You're on one of the easiest to take- with Epzicom (abacavir/3TC) and efavirenz (Sustiva). This two pill, once-daily regimen has been shown to work very well and is very well tolerated (so long as you are not in the small minority of patients who develop an allergy to abacavir). In our practice, we have had very good success with this regimen.

Let us know how you're doing and tolerating your treatment. I'm sure that many readers would be interested in hearing from you. BY

stopping/restarting first round treatment
Blood Sugar out of control